Posted on June 23rd, 2021
So you’re thinking about proposing but you’re not sure where to start?! Look no further… we are here to help! At Drakes, Plymouth we understand that proposing is a really big moment in your life but fear not, our friendly team are on hand to help every step of the way!
For over 70 years, we have been using our knowledge and experience to help our customers to find ‘the ring’ and we love being a part of this special moment in your life.
Our best recommendation would be to pop into the store at your convenience and enjoy browsing our collections to see what catches your eye. Our team will be on hand to help to answer any questions and advise. So come on in, take a seat and relax…
Before you go, we’ve put together this blog with some handy tips and advice for choosing the ring.
- You may be feeling overwhelmed with the options but our first bit of advice is not to panic!
- Don’t believe the rumors! You will probably have been told by friends, family or the internet that you should be spending 1, 2 or 3 months’ of your salary on an engagement ring. This simply is not true. Spend what you feel most comfortable with and don’t be afraid to be honest with your jeweller about your budget so that they can help you to find the perfect ring at the price you are happy to pay.
Our engagement rings cater for a wide range of budgets and tastes starting from £225. We also provide Interest Free Credit options to help to spread your payments.
- Don’t forget why you are doing this… what is more important than the value and style of the ring is the thought behind it and what it means to you both.
- You’ll want to think about their lifestyle and choose a ring that suits this and is practical for them. For example, if they are quite active and enjoy things like rock climbing etc, you may want to steer away from White Gold and go for something more hard wearing.
On the other hand, you’ll want to think about their metal colour preference. Do they wear more white, yellow or rose?
- Don’t worry about the finger size. We would always advise purchasing the ring in the size we have in stock and come back after the event where we can either alter the ring or order it in the perfect size after measuring their finger.
- Would your partner prefer a traditional diamond engagement ring or are you considering a coloured stone with diamonds? You may want to consider the colour and whether they would wear this everyday or if it is something they would only want to wear with certain outfits. Diamonds are neutral and go with everything!
- Diamonds are the hardest gemstone making them perfect for everyday. Some gemstones can be soft in comparison and therefore not as practical from the wear point of view.
- If you do go for a diamond you’ll want to consider the 5C’s. These are; Cut, Clarity, Colour, Carat and Confidence. We always recommend choosing a quality diamond over the size.
- When choosing the ring, take a closer look at the setting as this can make all the difference. Settings include claw set, tension, channel and many more. Each have their own benefits, for example, a claw set lets more light into the stone maximizing sparkle.
- Think about the future… you’ll want it to purchase a ring that they will love and cherish forever, so think about whether they will be just as in love with the style in a few years time as they are right now. Some engagement ring styles can go in and out of fashion.
- Diamonds come in an array of exquisite shapes and you can find out more here. They are all beautiful in their own way. Do consider that if you choose a shaped diamond it may be that you’ll need to think about shaping the wedding band to fit.
- You’ll want to try to imagine your partner wearing the ring and think about how it sits on their hand. For example, if they have small hands, a bold statement piece might be a little too overwhelming.
- If you are a forward planner you may want to think about the wedding ring. Our team can show you wedding rings that will sit nicely with the engagement ring so that you can imagine what they will look like together. However, this is not essential.
If you do not see anything in store that is of interest, you may want to consider using our Bespoke service to create something special for your fiancé(e) to be! Or perhaps propose with a loose diamond (or gemstone) and choose the setting together with our Diamond with a Promise collection!
As we said, our recommendation would be to pop into store at your convenience and take a look. Our team are on hand to help in whatever way they can and they have a wealth of knowledge and experience to aid you in your shopping experience.
We have put together this handy Proposal Guide that you can read via our website with lots of tips on proposing including more information on choosing the ring.
However you decide to propose, we wish you lots of luck with the planning and shopping. Remember why you are doing this and try to enjoy the moment.
Once you have popped the question, don’t forget to share the news with us via our social channels. We’d absolutely love to see your engagement photos and hear about the magical moment.
We wish you all the best for a happy future together x